Academic Catalog - Service Learning
Service learning integrates a service experience that
meets a community need with an academic course. Service learning involves
reflection activities to assist students in thinking about the relation between
course content and the service experience as well as to foster social responsibility.
Service Learning 100 (SVLN
This course provides students an opportunity
to link a service experience to a particular course for one semester hour of
credit. The precise nature of the service activity and its approprirate
connection to course content are determined in consultation with the faculty
member teaching the course to which Service Learning 100 is to be linked.
Service Learning 100 Guidelines
- Students will provide unpaid service to non-profit organizations, schools,
or other entities in the community.
- Students will complete at least 15 hours of service for one semester hour
of Service Learning 100 credit.
- One semester hour per course is allowed. No more than four semester
hours of Service Learning 100 will be credited to a student's transcript.
(Note: students may receive no more than sixteen semester hours total in the
four categories of internships, independent studies, senior thesis, and Service
- Credit is given for the learning and its relation to the course, not for
the service alone.
- SVLN 100 is graded Satisfactory/NoCredit.
Service Learning 100 Process
- Student talks with faculty member about linking service to a particular
- Student and faculty member review the Service Learning 100 guidelines.
- Student works with faculty member and community organization to determine
the type of service the student will provide and to establish learning objectives,
assignments/reflection activities, and a method for assessment.
- Student submits four copies of the completed proposal to the Assistant Provost
for Academic Services by the end of the second week of the semester that he/she
wants to register for Service Learning 100.
- Once approved, the proposal will serve as registration for Service Learning
100. Service Learning. 1 semester
Prerequisite: Completion of Community