Use Outlook to Read/Send E-mail from Home
These instructions apply to all current students who would like to use Outlook 2007 or 2010 to access Wittenberg e-mail from a personal computer. To do so requires that your computer be connected to campus by using the campus network here, using the Virtual Private Networking software available to you.
- Close Outlook.
- Open and connect to Witt's network via Cisco Systems VPN Client software. Need information or to download this software? Click here.
- Open Control Panel. Check under the Start button for this.
- Double-click the Mail icon.
- You may see a window with a "Show Profile" button. If you do, click Show Profile. IF THERE IS NO PROFILE NAME IN THE LIST - Click Add, then type Wittenberg Outlook and click OK. No "Show Profile" button? Skip this step.
- When the window asking for your name appears, click the check box at the bottom of the window labeled "Manually configure server settings or additional server types". Click Next.
- For the e-mail service type, select Microsoft Exchange. Click Next.
- For the Microsoft Exchange settings, use these values:
- Microsoft Exchange Server if you're Faculty/Staff: WittFSVS.wittenberg.edu
- Microsoft Exchange Server if you're a student: wittstu.wittenberg.edu
- Use Cached Exchange Mode: Empty this box
- UserName: Your username
- Click Next.
- You'll be asked for your username and password. In the username box, type WITTENBERG\yourusername, then your Wittenberg Windows password and click OK.
- Click Finish, then click OK.
Remember--to read/send/access your e-mail, you need to start the VPN software first. Outlook will not access the account otherwise.
Don't want to use the VPN software? Try Outlook Web Access.
This document last reviewed July 28th, 2010.