Using a Campus Laptop
Laptop computers offer more flexibility in a work environment. To that end, campus laptops are setup to use in three different network connections or environments. These computers can be used when connected directly (with a network cable), when used in a docking station that is connected directly (network cable from the docking station to wall), or wirelessly (where available).
Note: In order to switch from one connection type to another, TURN OFF the computer first.
On Campus plugged into the network
This is where you have the laptop plugged into the network via an Ethernet cable or with a docking station.
- Plug in the Ethernet cable or put the laptop into the docking station
- Turn on the laptop
- Wait for the Logon screen to appear (the one asking to press ctrl-alt-delete)
- Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and say ok to the warning
- Username: your Wittenberg Windows username
- Password: your Wittenberg Windows password
- Logon To: make sure it says WITTENBERG
- Click Log on
You are now logged on to the Wittenberg University campus windows network.
On Campus in a wireless access area
Make sure that the computer is not connected to an Ethernet cable and it is not in a docking station. If you wish to use Wittenberg's Open-Unsecure-Wireless, simply open your Internet browser and begin to use it. If you prefer to use the Wittenberg Secure Wireless please refer to these instructions.
Using the Campus laptop outside of campus:
- Turn on the laptop
- Wait for the logon screen to appear (the one asking to press ctrl-alt-delete)
- Press ctrl-alt-delete and say ok to the warning
- Username: localadministrator (all lower case, all one word)
- Password: password provided
- Logon To: make sure it says "Car110d-n01 (This computer)"
- Then click ok to log on
You are now logged on to the laptop using the localadministrator account. This means that you can do anything you want to with the laptop such as add or remove software and uninstall. DO NOT share this password with anyone else. The local account and password on this computer are governed by the same policies used for all campus computer accounts.
Access campus files or resources remotely (using an ISP other than Wittenberg):
Please follow these instructions to access Remote Desktop.
This document last reviewed April 26, 2013.