What is PaperCut?
PaperCut is a program that the university uses to keep track of how much printing is being done on campus. It is intended to help students and faculty become more aware of how much they are printing and to reduce wasteful printing to help create a green Wittenberg.
Each student is given $100 dollars each semester (faculty and other administrative staff may receive more). Each time a user prints, the following amount is deducted from their account:
|Color:||Number of Sides:||Cost:|
|Grayscale||Single-sided||10¢ per page|
10¢ for the first side
5¢ for the second side
25¢ for the first side
25¢ for the first side
15¢ for the second side
If you run out of money, you will not be able to print until more is added. You can add more money to your account at the library. Regardless of how much you have spent, you will still be given $100 at the start of each semester and any unused money will roll over.
Using PaperCut NG:
- Startup: The software installs into the Startup area of the computer, so it will always be ready for use without requiring you to run it before printing.
- Logging in: There is a small window that opens with the PaperCut NG software (you can close it; it will print anyway) and a small icon (check near the time in the corner). In the window you'll see a number representing the dollar amount "left" for the semester. Click the Details... link in the window, log in (Windows username and password), and you'll see a balance history, pending print jobs, and the environmental impact over time.
- Printing: Click File, Print and select the printer as always. A window will pop up asking you to approve sending the print job. Click Print to send the job, Cancel if you reconsider the print job.
Installing PaperCut NG:
- Download the papercutwin.exe installer program from Wittenberg's software download page.
- Run the papercutwin.exe installer program and follow the on screen instructions.
Mac OS 10.5 and higher:
- Download the papercutapple.zip file from Wittenberg's software download page.
- If your web browswer doesn't decompress the zip file automatically, double-click the file in the Finder to do so.
- When you decompress it, a folder named "mac" will appear. Open this folder.
- Drag the program named PCClient to your Applications folder.
- Once you have moved the program, you can delete the "mac" folder and its contents.
Connecting to a campus printer:
- Windows: Download and run "Program to map your network drive letters from off campus" from the Wittenberg software download page. The program also gives you the option to map available campus printers.
- Mac OS 10.5 and higher: Click for directions.
This document last reviewed February 12, 2013.