Information Technology Services Sample Confidentiality of Records Agreement
I understand that by the virtue of my employment with the Information Technology Services at Wittenberg University, I may have access to records which contain individually identifiable information as well as other individuals' private information or data and the disclosure of which is prohibited by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). Security and confidentiality is a matter of concern for all employees within the office of the Information Technology Services and any other persons who have access to data systems or physical facilities. Each person working in the Information Technology Services holds a position of trust relative to this information. Therefore, as an employee of this department, I agree to respect and adhere to the following statements:
- I will not make or permit unauthorized use of any information.
- I will not seek personal benefit or permit others to benefit personally by any confidential information which has come to me by virtue of my work assignment.
- I will not exhibit or divulge the contents of any record, data, or report to any person except in the conduct of my work assignment.
- I will not knowingly include or cause to be included in any record or report a false, inaccurate, or misleading entry or to alter, destroy information, or commit any similar act. I will not view, remove, or modify any data except as directed by my supervisor in the performance of my duties.
- I will not aid, abet, or act in conspiracy with another to violate any part of this confidentiality agreement.
- I will immediately report any violation of this code to my supervisor.
- I will adhere to Wittenberg University's Computing Resource Policy.
I acknowledge that I fully understand that the intentional disclosure by me of this information to any unauthorized person could subject me to criminal and civil penalties imposed by law. I further acknowledge that such willful or unauthorized disclosure also violates Wittenberg University's policy and could constitute just cause for disciplinary action including termination of my employment regardless of whether criminal or civil penalties are imposed.
This document last reviewed May 2, 2013.