What Computer Should I Buy?
In most cases, computer sellers such as Dell, Gateway, Apple, etc. do offer education pricing to students. Before purchasing, we recommend checking into one of these programs.
Student Discounts on Microsoft Products
Student Discounts on Other Software
Is it required that students purchase a computer?
- No it isn't required. Public computer labs are available to students in each residence hall, the library, student center, and most academic buildings. Currently around 350 computers are available for students to use at any given time, with laser printers available in those locations as well.
- With the range of locations available to students for wireless access, a laptop offers the most flexibility when it comes to a change of scenery. Students can connect to the wireless network in places like the library, student center while getting a bite to eat, or out on the lawn. Meanwhile a desktop might offer more power or a different video card, which can be important to a student planning to use the computer at home for more non-academic pursuits. Whichever choice you make, students should practice basic security measures like locking the door to the room or apartment even when "only leaving for a little while", etc. If you wouldn't leave a wallet or purse in an unlocked room, you shouldn't leave the door unlocked with your computer (and your roommate's too!) in there.
PC or Mac?
- About 95% of all lab computers are PCs, the other 5% are Macintosh. However, about half of all laptops that students have purchased are PCs and the other half use Macs. Both can connect to the campus network and print to campus printers by installing the print drivers. PCs will be able to connect to network drives in order to access files saved on the network. Network drives will have to be mapped on a MAC in order to access campus files that a student has saved while on campus computers.
What help can students get from the Solution Center?
- Solution Center student staff members will not perform hardware repairs or upgrades on personally owned computers. Our help is limited to getting a personal computer back on Wittenberg's network.
- No program, virus software, or device can prevent all viruses, Trojans, bots, etc. There will be times where the software corruption on the computer may be beyond our purview to correct. In those cases, we will refer you to your manufacturer's technical support or another third party for additional repair or assistance.
Hardware and software requirements
- There are no minimum hardware specifications, but a network card is required for the network connection.
- Wireless data access points, switches, routers or other hardware that changes the configuration of Wittenberg's physical network
- No server version operating systems or applications are permitted.
- This list is not comprehensive; for information about a particular device, contact the Solution Center.
Want more information? Click here for directions, troubleshooting, and more.
This document last reviewed February 12, 2013.