File Transfer Protocol Services Available
In order to make large file transfers to or from off campus locations easier, we have added the file transfer protocol service. This uses automatically generated passwords and allows different levels of access to the server. As an example, your account can create folders for organizing files while your guest's account can only upload or download files. You and your guest(s) have a common storage space to easily share files. This service is available to faculty, staff, and their guests. This helps eliminate the frustrations of using e-mail to exchange large files and is faster than mailing a CD/DVD.
The user accounts on the FTP server have separate Passwords that are randomly created for these accounts; there is no option to choose your own password. The assigned passwords are chosen to be easily remembered. These passwords remain in effect until either the account is canceled due to time restrictions or until you click FTP Password in WittLink portal the next time. **We are working with the ACC (Academic Computing Committee) to develop policy and the length of time the files will be available.
To access the server:
- The server's name is ftp.wittenberg.edu and is accessible from on and off campus locations. You can use whatever FTP program you prefer; on most campus computers you'll find a copy of WS FTP Lite installed, but you can also use Windows Explorer or through a web browser. To use this service, first set passwords. We are providing two new usernames and passwords, one for your use and one for your guest's access.
- Log into WittLink portal, then in the left column click FTP Password. The username for you will be yourusername.ftp (where yourusername is your Wittenberg username), while the username for your guest will be yourusername.guest. For example, if your username is lpalmer then your FTP username will be lpalmer.ftp and your guest's username will be lpalmer.guest. Each account will have a different password.
- Please note - the usernames and passwords open in a pop-up window; just as other WittLink portal functions require. If you do not see the window open, please disable any pop-up blockers or set them not to block all wittenberg.edu addresses.
- THIS SERVER IS NOT SCHEDULED FOR BACKUP. This means that any disk failure, etc. will not be recoverable. Be sure to keep a copy of any files you place on the FTP server elsewhere (such as a campus network drive).
- Currently no per person or per upload quotas are set for this server. The total space available for file sharing is 422 gigabytes; if this is full, then file uploads are suspended until space is available.
This document last reviewed July 23rd, 2010.
- Getting Started
- Types of Accounts
- Personal Devices & Software
- Connecting to the Network
- Campus Computers, Labs, & Printers
- Outlook and OWA
- Wittlink Portal
- Moodle Courseware
- Technology policies
- Copyright and File Sharing Policies