While studying in Leuven, Belgium, last fall as a Fulbright Scholar, Tammy Proctor, associate professor of history, spent time at the town’s library, which became the subject of worldwide attention in 1914.
At the outbreak of First World War, the German army burned the medieval library and much of the town. The new library was completed in the 1920s when an American fund-raising campaign commenced to rebuild the American-designed library.
Wittenberg joined with more than 200 other contributors in helping to fund the project. All donors were then recognized with carved stones, each in a different font. Although damaged again by the Germans in World War II, the library and its donors’ stones remain today.