Endowed Chair Created in Honor of Biology Professor
The first woman in Wittenberg’s history to teach in the sciences and one of only a handful of women scientists in the nation in 1957, Elizabeth E. Powelson, professor emeritus of biology, inspired countless students during her 44-year career at the university. Now, three years after her retirement, an endowed chair has been created in Powelson’s name.
Spearheaded by G. David K. Hopper ’63, Ann Walchner Bellisari ’62 and Marlene Van Cleve Shaw ’64, the project to establish a Powelson chair generated numerous contributions from former students and friends of the esteemed biology professor.
In addition to providing a stipend and program/research support, an endowed chair represents one of the most prestigious achievements for college faculty members at American universities.