Springfield, Ohio - The Division for Higher Education and Schools (DHES) of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has awarded grants totaling $42,725 to 36 faculty and staff representing most of the 28 ELCA colleges and universities. John Young, instructor of political science at Wittenberg University, is one of the recipients for his work studying the politics of the downtown development in Baltimore, Md.
The DHES study grants support continuing education efforts of ELCA college and university faculty, administration and staff. Most grants are given to those pursuing a terminal degree.
DHES funded 80 percent of the awards - a total of $34,180 - and the recipient institutions support the remaining 20 percent. Most recipients are awarded grants of $1,200, the maximum level.
'The mission of the Division for Higher Education and Schools is to provide leadership in defining, supporting and advocating for the interactive ministry of the church in education and education in the church," said Dr. Leonard G. Schulze, DHES executive director.
"The annual study grants program is one of the ways DHES lives out this mission. We are pleased to be part of this cooperative effort with the colleges and universities to affirm and encourage excellence among faculty and staff," he said.
There were 67 qualified applicants for this year's program, almost double the applications for the 2001 program, said Sue Edison-Swift, DHES assistant director for colleges and universities. An effort is underway to define the program better so that the number of applications is closer to the number of possible awards, she added.
Young received his B.A. in political science from Morgan State University in Baltimore, Md., and his M.A. in political science from both the University of Dayton and Miami University. Currently, he is completing doctoral work at The Ohio State University. Young has been with Wittenberg University since 1983 as an administrator in Admission and later Student Affairs. He resides in Springfield.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive]||
• Book-Delivering Prof Named Ohio Professor of the Year
• Senior Class Selects Livestrong President & CEO Doug Ulman As 2011 Commencement Speaker
•Communication Program Honored Nationally With Top Award
• Wittenberg University Art Students Finalists For Scholarship Award